2 jars of pickles and 6 flatbreads
- 2 small red onions
- Bunch of rainbow chard, stalks only
- 1 cup of white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 tsp of whole spices of choice (I used 2 star anise, ½ tsp chili seeds and 2 cloves)
- 175ml tepid water
- 7g sachet fast action yeast
- 1 tsp rice malt syrup/agave
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 200g plain all purpose flour
- 50g rye flour
- 2 tbsp mixed dried herbs (or sub 4 tbsp fresh herbs)
- 2-4 tbsp coconut/avocado oil
Prepare your pink pickles by finely slicing the red onion as thinly as possible and rainbow chard into ½ inch pieces. Put both into separate clean sterilised jars (or mix together in one if you like).
Add vinegar, salt, sugar and spices in a small jug and pour over the onion and chard. Ensure the veg is fully covered. Set aside.
Prepare flatbreads by mixing water, yeast and rice malt syrup in a small bowl with a fork. Leave for a few minutes to get frothy.
To a medium sized mixing bowl, add flours, salt and mixed herbs. Mix well and add in the liquid. Knead for at least five minutes until smooth and springy. Cover and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes.
Separate dough into 6 pieces and knead each piece for a few seconds, before shaping into a ball.
Heat a skillet or heavy bottomed pan to a medium/high temperature and brush the pan with a thin layer of oil.
Roll out into circles on a floured surface and cook one by one in your oiled pan. Reapply a thin layer of oil before cooking the next one.
Recipe from: www.boskitchen.com